Sunday, December 8, 2013

My Modern Day Heroes

Today, most of us are aware of the current local and international news broadcasted through our radio-televisions, printed on our daily newspapers and posted on our internet homepage. This is not something new, right? However, I cannot help but share something about these current events in a different perspective.


What events?

I am talking about how one man amidst all odds stood up and fought for his dreams. I am talking about another man who with his intent to help and save lives of other people ends up to be his last heroic act. And I am talking about the life of a humble man who became an inspiration to the whole world. I am talking about our People’s Champion, Manny Pacquiao, the ever so virtuous Paul Walker in The Fast and the Furious movie franchise and the renowned World Leader Nelson Mandela, respectively.

The People’s Champion: Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao


I may not know him personally but he seems to inspire a lot of people, including me. I never wanted to watch boxing because of the violence that comes with it and at the back of my mind, the “business and politics” behind the results. Not to mention, if you are watching in a delayed telecast, there are a LOT of commercials in-between the fights that spoils all the thrill and excitement.

Back in college, when Manny Pacquiao was the talk of the town after his triumphant fight and came home bringing great honor to the Philippines, I was still didn’t caught by the “Pac-Man” craze back then. But throughout the years, having heard the different endeavors, honors and losses of this humble man, he somewhat caught my attention. I started to watch boxing already and praying that he wins all the time but don’t get me wrong, I am not a fanatic but just a proud Filipino. And now, after his last fight with Brandon Rios last November 23, 2013 in Macao, China, which was not only the fight that would determined his career in boxing but also served as an inspiration to all Filipinos especially those who were affected by the different calamities for the past few weeks in our country.

He became a symbol of hope amidst all the trials that he went through from having the longest losing streak in his boxing career and nearly aging to his retirement, he proved to everyone that anything is possible if you hold on to your faith and believe in your dreams, you will surpass all of life’s challenges. And in spite the different controversies about him, he still reach out to those who are most in need in our country bringing not only help but also hope and the message that we will be able to stand up again and fight.

Quick Facts from www.biography.com:
Full Name: Emmanuel Dapidran Pacquiao
Birthday: December 17, 1978 (Age 34 years old)
Place of Birth: Kibawe, Philippines
Best known for: Manny Pacquiao has won world boxing titles in eight different weight divisions, and is considered one of the world’s best boxers.

 Brian O'Conner: Paul Walker



I admit, I love cars and I love race car drivers and I am a frustrated race car driver myself. I still remember the first time I wore a race car helmet, how it feels on my head although heavy because I was like 12 years old, how challenging it feels to go inside a race car with all the gears and costume, how it feels to held my hands on the steering wheel, how the sound of the seat belt clicks with my sibling laughing and cheering me down and nervous parents watching me like it would be my last day on earth and most especially how it feels to step my cold excited foot on the foot pedal and feel the need for speed! What an amazing feeling when you are behind a magnificent car that bring you to beautiful places with the people you love the most and just feel the speed on the race track.

Ever since the first Fast and the Furious movie franchise, I was an avid fan. Not the “crazy” fan that knows even the plate numbers (if there are any) of the cars in that movie or all other “geeky-weird” stuffs but rather the whole movie itself and especially the moral lesson of the story. Not to mention how those amazing cars were driven and caught in camera. Breathe taking! And now, one of my heroes in the movie, Brian O’Conner who was played by Paul Walker died in a car accident last November 30, 2013 at the age of 40. After hearing the news and the details plus the genuine and hoax viral videos alike, I had high respects to him more than ever. Knowing that at that time before he died, he was going to his charity work that would benefit my countrymen devastated by the super typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda).

I believed he never been to the Philippines but then, he still reached out even before he died. It was his last heroic act in this movie of life. He does not only portray a good cop in the movie but also a good person in reality. Surely, he will be missed and will serve as an inspiration to all.

What I love the most in the movie Fast and the Furious aside from the characters and the cars is their “code” which is “family”. Like what Dominic Toretto said in the movie to Brian O’Conner, “You don't turn your back on family, even when they do.” A perfect example for us nowadays, to help each other whatever race we belong because we are one family in this home called Earth.

Quick Facts from www.biography.com:
Full Name: Paul William Walker IV
Birthday: September 12, 1973
Place of Birth: Glendale, California

"I live by 'Go big or go home.' That's with everything. It's like either commit and go for it or don't do it at all. I apply that to everything. I apply that to relationships, I apply that to like sports, I apply that to everything. That's what I live by. That's how I like it."
– Paul Walker

One man made a big difference in the whole world: Nelson Mandela


Most likely you already know who Nelson Mandela is but for those who are not in the know, especially those at my age and younger, here is a brief background about the first African President and how he changed the world.

He was born as an African Prince in 1918. His father, the tribal chief, groomed him to an heir of power. But he chafes on that confining law. He couldn’t make his own decisions like whom to marry so he stalled and fled the royal court.

He studied law in Johannesburg and in 1952 formed South Africa’s first Black-run law firm. He joined the African National Congress (ANC). A political group opposing the government’s policy of racial segregation known as a “Parte”. But the events weren’t moving fast enough. He urged the ANC to form a military wing and challenge the all-white government.

In 1962, returning from a military training in Algeria he was arrested and convicted of plotting to overthrow the government. He was sentence to life imprisonment. But from behind bars, he continues to influence people and events and gradually, all so slowly, the government dissolves its racial barriers. In 1990, he was released.

In 1994, the man who had refused to inherit princely power within his tribe was elected president by his entire nation and the rest was history. He remained out of the spotlight for the past few years to spend his time in Qunu, south of Johannesburg, his childhood community. After suffering from a lung infection in 2011 and subsequently been in and out of the hospital, he died last December 5, 2013 at the age of 95 in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Seems like a very familiar story right? Here is a man like our Filipino ancestors who fought for our own rights. Although it is sad to admit that, once in our history, our own countrymen themselves abuse the power of authority and even today, there are still present, lurking and pretending to put the country’s interest as their top priority.

I would like to quote the following from Jacob Zuma, South Africa’s present president about his statement to the public later after the death of the former President Nelson Mandela’s legacy and the statement on the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory's website:

"Wherever we are in the country, wherever we are in the world, let us reaffirm his vision of a society ... in which none is exploited, oppressed or dispossessed by another." – Jacob Zuma.

"Mr. Mandela gave 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity. All we are asking is that everyone gives 67 minutes of their time, whether it's supporting your chosen charity or serving your local community."- Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory's website

Quick Facts from www.biography.com:
Full Name: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
Birthday: July 18, 1918
Place of Birth: Mveso, Transkei, South Africa

What do these men have in common?

They all had a share to help other people before themselves through the ways that they know best. You don’t need to do grand things to serve other people; you can begin in your home or your community most especially this holiday season, the spirit of sharing and helping. I hope I was able to impart to you a piece of inspirational stories of My Modern Day Heroes who made a big difference in the lives of people. May they continue to inspire us to become modern day heroes as well.

No comments: